Saturday 14 August 2010

The Food & Drink Challenge: The Warm Up

So its time to start limbering up, after the run away success that was the February Food & Drink Challenge that I cheekily coined #forfeitfebruary, the delightful Andrew Emmett has challenged us all once again, this time we’re not talking 31 days, we’re talking 3 months. 3 whole months. September, October & November.

Now it’s no secret that I battle with my weight, I spent too many important years overweight & dangerously so. I now weigh in within a healthy BMI for my height & have done over 17 months but the battle is not won, it’s one I fight every day and while some people may consider that food rules my life, I disagree. I am just more aware of the foods around me and ultimately more aware of the effect they have on my mind, my body & soul.

This is why the Food & Drink Challenge is such a great experience. In February I gave up caffeine & chocolate.

Caffeine was interesting, it was originally given up on the basis of addiction, coffee plays and important part of my life Monday to Friday & fizzy drinks dominate at the weekend. I’ve never had a problem sleeping; I could have 3 cans of diet coke in bed & still fall asleep. But I noticed a massive difference in the quality of my sleep, I could sleep through without interruption & I woke up more energised.

Chocolate, now that was a pesky one. I’ve not really got a sweet tooth…Crisps are my thing & cheese & biscuits on pudding menu is more of a delight than a chocolate fudge brownie. But on a restricted diet, I find chocolate had become my ‘treat’ and a regular one…Saturday evening munch run. I thought this would be easier than it was, I remember saying yes to a biscuit to have a fine selection bought out for me, all containing chocolate, you cant eat round it that’s cheating.

My weight during this time was steady which is all I am really seeking to achieve & I found it easier to stay on track. It was nice to find a strength of will to say no to these things, it wasn’t always easy at times but I carried on for 40 days & 40 nights as unofficial lent.

So, now is the hard part. One thing for three months? Many things for three months? Three things for three months or one thing each month which results in the last month being off three things?

The things I really could do with giving up include caffeine, fizzy drinks, chocolate, pastries, biscuits & cakes that aren’t made by my own fair hand & I too would like to limit bread intake. I dont really drink and for the most part that will be included in the challenge, apart from one special day I had agreed to last year.

There are still 17 days to decide! & if you fancy coming along for the ride, all the better.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post and I'm looking forward to following your challenge.

    I love the fact your weight was steady, your sleep was hugely improved and you woke up more energised during the '#forfeitfebruary'. A great result!

    'I am just more aware of the foods around me and ultimately more aware of the effect they have on my mind, my body & soul.' I think that is a fantastic sentence and one everyone should give more thought to.

    Looking forward to finding out what you decide to give up for the challenge.

    All the best

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete